Feast of Saint Mark, evangelist (4.25.2020)




Virtue of Humility, on the bronze south doors (by Andrea Pisano) of the Florence Baptistery, Italy.

The invitation of Saint Peter on his letter this morning for us is to cover ourselves with humility. I thought that listening to the litany of humility that someone wrote many years ago could be useful for our spiritual life and to honor St. Mark the evangelist.

Lord Jesus. Meek and humble of heart, hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honoured, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted, deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged, deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected, deliver me, Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it • 

[Litany of Humility' composed by the Servant of God, Cardinal Rafael Merry dal Val, a former Secretary of State under St Pius X] 




Es tan bella la humildad, que María, la doncella de Nazaret, fue escogida por el Padre Dios para ser Madre de su Hijo, por su humildad: “Él se fijó en mí por mi humildad' -diria la Virgen en casa de Isabel, agregando para Ella una alabanza verdadera: “Todas las generaciones me llamarán bienaventurada”. El humilde no rechaza los honores cuando son ciertos; pero no los busca ni se queda en ellos. No rechazó Jesús las alabanzas de todo el pueblo cuando entró triunfante a Jerusalén pero sí que llamó la atención a los soberbios fariseos. Es que la humidad no oculta ni niega la verdad. El Papa Pio X hizo en vida muchos milagros. Cuentan que un día uno de los cardenales de la curia, le espetó: "Dicen por ahi que usted está haciendo aquí muchos milagros por aqui". El Papa le respondió, sin darle mayor importancia al asunto: "Bueno, es que aqui le toca a uno hasta hacer milagros". El humilde no niega los dones ni talentos recibidos, pero nunca se  vanagloria de ellos, como Pedro, como Marcos, como tantos, ¡Ay si el Señor nos concediera caminar por ese camino! • AE


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario