What we have, what we lack and what we want (Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time. Cycle B)



Very often we ask ourselves: What do I want out of life? The answer to this question is very, very important. If we are starving for food, we will surely answer that we want food. If we are prisoners and being tortured, surely we will answer that we want freedom. So often our answers can be a clear response to the things that we most lack in life. Perhaps it is when we have most things that we can ask ourselves: What do I want out of life? If I already enough food, do I want more? If I have freedom, can I have even more freedom? Do I want a bigger and better home and more money? What do I want? The exacerbated consumerism and the frenetic noise of our cities indicate the temperature (short) of our interior. The first reading, from the Book of Exodus, speaks about our ancestors in the faith. They wanted freedom. They were willing to leave Egypt for freedom. But as soon as they had freedom, they realized that the now lacked the food that they had enjoyed in Egypt! This is such a human story. Our Story. When we get what we want, then we want something else. And very often we forget to enjoy what we have already. That's how distracted we are by human beings, and by Christians, and even with everything, the Lord loves us with all his strength. Today’s readings challenge us to consider our own lives, what we have, what we lack and what we want. Am I seriously hungry to spiritual food? Do I confuse the goods of this life with serious spiritual food? Am I willing to give up my life in order to receive bread from heaven? Am I willing to suffer in this life for the sake of true spiritual food? Am I willing to accept whatever happens in my life and seek God alone? May this Sunday Eucharist and the light and strength of the Spirit of God open our hearts and our minds to the divine presence. May we desire God’s presence with our whole being and do whatever is necessary to seek God’s mercy and compassion! • AE

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario